Here we sit in late 2013 and the visits for the January 2016 Iowa Caucus are already coming. There have been no formal announcements for the caucus, but potential candidates will visit and test the waters.
- 2012 Iowa Caucus winner, Rick Santorum, is already set up for a run with a three-day visit at a Council Bluffs fundraiser before traveling to speak at another event in the northwest part of the state.
- Freshman Texas Sen. Ted Cruz fired up conservative audiences on two recent visits and a gathering of Iowa evangelicals.
- Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul has stopped in Iowa three times this summer including a gathering of conservative pastors last month.
- Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal attended a Branstad fundraiser .
- Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker attended two fundraisers in West Des Moines in May.
- Former Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan will return to the state this November for Branstad’s annual birthday fundraiser.
- Chris Christie is up for reelection this fall and hasn’t made it to Iowa as of yet. (He could skip Iowas and concentrate on New Hampshire if her were to run.)
- Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, no visits or scheduled visits.
- Florida Sen. Marco Rubio has stayed away so far.
No major Democrats have made visits to Iowa as of yet with the exception of vice president Joe Biden who attended Iowa’s 36th annual “Tom Harkin Steak Fry.